Thursday, January 26, 2012

on moving, and life

In what seems like complete opposition to what I wrote as my 2012 intention – to slow down and be centered – we decided to move, on a whim. It wasn’t really just a whim, I suppose. It was intentional. It will lead to more slowness and centeredness in the future. Packing up four years worth of stuff is not something I recommend pulling off in a week’s time. But, you know how we role – insane. That said, we moved! From Downtown to Uptown (Kenwood). We are in a neighborhood we love, in a building built in 1910. Without judgment, it is everything that our old home was not. It is roughly 100 years older than our old (new) condo, which means rich, dark woodwork, a fireplace, a formal dining room, and a claw foot tub. It also means we gave up our (beloved) heated parking, ridiculously large walk-in closet, and new plumbing (ahem). More than anything, our new place represents a new start for us. We had grown a bit stagnant in our old space. For someone who loves to move (in theory), loves adventure, loves decorating and redecorating, and is eager to make a bigger move, this will help keep me content a bit longer.

It’s been so fun to move furniture into our new home. Hang curtains and decorate the girls room (with a bunk bed for Sonia that we are quickly regretting, given the child won’t sleep alone, but more on that another time), pack and unpack all of our worldly possessions (again, in theory much more than practice).

We’ve learned a few things during the move. First, “home” is truly where your family is. That first night in our new place, Sanj and I lying in bed (on the floor, no less), listening to the unfamiliar cricks and creaks of our new place, wondering just what we’ve gotten ourselves into and feeling nervous. And then the baby cries, and we bring her into bed. And then Sonia calls out and we get her and bring her into bed. And there we lie. The four of us in our old bed, in our new house, and we are home.

Second, because I’m constantly de-cluttering, I like to think of myself as someone who doesn’t have a lot of stuff. Not anymore. A text message to Sanj during the move: “Shame on me for thinking for even one second that I am a minimalist. We are just really good at hiding things.” And so, a new adventure in de-cluttering begins….

Most of all, moving has reinvigorated us. We’re falling in love with new neighborhood coffee shops, grocery stores, and routines. In the mornings, well after Sanj has left for work, I pack up the girls, get Mila in the stroller and off we walk. One and a half blocks to Sonia’s preschool for 8 a.m. start, and then back to the car to drop Mila (which will be via bus once I get my act together).

The next few weeks will include new additions to our routine – like early morning yoga in the sunroom and runs around Isles. Less insanity, and more centered. 2012. You are going to be good.

6 comments:

Rachel Posey Austin said...

That is amazing! So glad you're in that neighborhood. It suits you and your family. Wish I was just down the street from you. I DO miss Uptown such a wonderful place. Glad its your home.

jess weliwitigoda said...

Rachel! We would be neighbors. The new place is on 26th and Humboldt. I drive by your old spot daily!

VLS said...

You're adding a bus to that mix? Work it, girl.

jess weliwitigoda said...

Taking the bus is an intention, V. Intentions can vary dramatically from reality...

Rachel Posey Austin said...

Awww....I would have loved being your neighbor. I love watching this blog and seeing your girls grow up. And now I want blonde hair again. You are my style guru.

jess weliwitigoda said...

Style guru - ha! I appreciate the compliment. I’m mostly a hot mess. A blonde hot mess.