Monday, March 3, 2008

month seven

Oh, little mama,

Seven months and counting. You are a wild one - constantly moving. Last night you were in your high chair and were trying to climb out despite the fact you were buckled in. You have to be buckled in at all times, because last weekend we watched as you effortlessly climbed out of the chair, over the tray and into your papa's arms below. You never hesitated at all.

Your favorite toy remains your walker, but you no longer like to sit inside. No, you like to pull yourself up and scale the bottom ledge. My guess is that in the next few weeks you'll be able to pull yourself right up and get yourself into the chair. And after that will be the crib. We lowered the mattress to prevent you from flinging yourself over the rail, so now you grab onto that rail and make an attempt at a pull-up. I'm sure it won't be long until you accomplish that goal. You were standing up against the walker last night and your pa was pointing out to me your defined calf muscle. You have a defined calf muscle! I don't think you have any idea what it means to be a baby, because I look at your and all I see is a rambunctious toddler.

Yesterday you were happily gnawing on your favorite, papaya spear, and I very carefully said "papaya" to you. Then I said to your pa that your first word will probably be papaya since you love it so much. At that very moment you uttered a three syllable word that sounded very much like papaya. Now, I'm not going to go and call that your first word just yet, but it sure made us stop in our tracks.

You are still a terrible sleeper. We've tried just about everything - sleeping in our bed, sleeping in your crib in our room, sleeping in your own room, putting you to bed early, putting you to bed later, feeding you solids, et cetera. You just don't want to sleep longer that two or three hours at a time. So you know what? You win. For now. Just wait until you are a teenager and sleeping into the afternoon. I am going to get you back.

You are a joy, my little spitfire. You are pure joy.

Love,
Ma







No comments: